Over the weekend of October 18-20, the eighth edition of this cycling marathon, organized by the cluster of Northwestern Istria, attracted almost 700 participants who started in Umag and readily faced the great challenge on routes of 119 km and of 94 km. Istria Granfondo has reaffirmed its international character, attracting cyclists from multiple countries, with Slovenia, Italy, Croatia, Austria and Hungary taking the lead.
Katharina Machner from Austria and Luca Fioretti from Italy were fastest contestants on the 119 km (Classic) course, while Slovenes Laura Šimenc and Andrej Guček had the best results in the 94 km (Small) course. One of the most promising cyclists in the world, the Slovenian Tadej Pogačar, and the Croatian national champion in road cycling and in ITT, Josip Rumac participated in the marathon. The race was also joined by one of Croatia’s most experienced cyclists, Radoslav Rogina.
During the three-day event, there was no lack of a quality entertainment program, so after the race, cyclists and fans gathered in the Expo area where they could view the contents of popular sports brands and enjoy food, drinks and music. A Kids Granfondo Race was organized for the youngest cyclists, while recreational cyclists stretched their legs in Novigrad, on the 25 km Istria Granfondo Family & Gourmet Tour.
For a better idea of the size and importance of Granfondo 2019, we present some interesting figures to you!
- Number of registered cyclists: 697
- Number of countries: 15
- Youngest participant (year of birth): 2003
- The oldest participant (year of birth): 1946
- Number of male participants: 643
- Number of female participants: 54
- Best achieved time – 119 km (M): 3:14:05
- Best achieved time – 119 km (W): 3:31:15
- Best achieved time – 94 km (M): 2:29:35
- Best achieved time – 94 km (W): 2:29:38
- Number of participants in Istria Granfondo Family & Gourmet Tour: 130
- Number of people in the organization: 300
- Number of visitors and fans: around 1000