The 5th edition of the Istria Granfondo will take place from September 30th to October 2nd. All cycling fans are eagerly awaiting this event which is considered the most important cycling event in Northwestern Istria. Here’s a list of 5 things you need to know about this year’s edition of the event.
1. The Granfondo in numbers: 800 cyclists from 10 different countries, over 300 people in the organization of the event, 150 volunteers, 120 prizes for best individual cyclists and 20 team awards.
2. The main marathon will take place on Saturday and will consist of two routes from which the participants can choose. The shorter route, the Istria Granfondo Small, is 88 km long and involves 720 m of ascent. The other route, the Istria Granfondo Classic, is longer and steeper: it has a length of 128 km, with a climb of 1330 m.
3. The Istria Granfondo is not just for “serious” cyclists. On Sunday, October 2nd, the Istria Granfondo Family & Gourmet Tour is taking place. It is intended for all lovers of cycling. The route is 25 km long and takes you through the beautiful landscape around Novigrad. Along the route are refreshment stops at which participants can enjoy the culinary specialties of the region and everyone participating in a raffle will have the opportunity to win a traditional lunch or dinner for 2 persons.
4. Thinking about purchasing a new bike? During the 5th Istria Granfondo visitors will be able to take a tour of the Expo zone, where the biggest manufacturers of bicycles will exhibit some of their latest models. Visitors will also be able to see the new “Umagosice”: a new line of branded sneakers made by the Croatian shoe manufacturer Borovo in cooperation with Istria Experience and Istraturist Umag.
5. Photo enthusiasts are invited to capture the most beautiful moments of the Family & Gourmet Tour with their camera or cell phone and publish them with the hashtag #coloursoffood on their Facebook or Instagram profile. A winner will be selected from all the photographs and awarded an amazing prize.